Charleston Wine + Food Festival
February 28th-March 4th 2018
WHAT ARE YOU DOING NEXT WEEK?
MIGHT I RECOMMEND GRABBING LAST MINUTE TICKETS TO THE BEST PARTY OF THE YEAR….AND WHERE ELSE BUT…CHARLESTON WINE + FOOD FESTIVAL!!!
ITS NOT TO LATE TO ATTEND-BUT YOU NEED TO MAKE PLANS NOW! If you have been wanting to grab tickets for our quickly approaching wine & food festival but you haven’t yet gotten them-you need to get online today and secure some tickets ASAP! They are disappearing quickly and you’re about to miss out. Being that Charleston is my hometown, I’m slightly biased that I think that we have the best food festival in the world!!! It’s the equivalent of an adult food lovers: Christmas morning! LOL-for real! While I haven’t traveled to every festival (in the world) I do know that this is a truly special event that brings in visitors from all over the world to participate and attend. The festival consists of over 100+ events and brings in award-winning chefs, wine makers, storytellers, cocktail rockstars, sommeliers and (in 2017): 23, 462 guests for this 5 day celebration of food, drinks and CHARLESTON!
I have been working with the festival for a few years as part of their “Social Media Street Team” which is super fun-basically I get to attend some really great events and snap pictures (all the things I love in life…AHHH…I love my job). I get to help feature the festival and share the story of whats happening on my social media handles and also forward images to the festival’s media team to select and use on the festival’s social feed! It’s our way to share with the world what our festival is all about. I’ve personally attended over 40 events and can tell you that the organizing team that plans and assembles this festival really strives to create a special experience with each event, class and experience.
This 5 days of amazing eats, sips, signature events, excursions, educational classes and entertainment….is my favorite CHS event of the calendar and each year I get more and more excited for it! If you are visiting for the first time, it helps to know that while Charleston is a very walkable city, the events are not in one main location-rather held throughout our beautiful and historic city along with some really neat tucked away spots throughout the Lowcountry which allows for visitors to get a truly southern coastal experience that you might not otherwise experience.
I’ve included below a few recommendations of events that still (as of today) have available openings! If you’re deciding last minute to hop on plane or jump in the car for a road trip to our lovely city next week-I’ve included a few helpful tips! Cheers!
Tickets range from $45-$1,500. Most events are around $125-150 per event.
If youre contemplating attending this year’s festival then I recommend getting your tickets today:
- Opening Night. Wed 2/28 (Marion Square, 7:30-10pm $150. This is the ultimate kick-off party that is SUPER fun and really a celebration of some of CHS’s finest chefs. 40+ food stations, 11 drink stations, live music).
- Wine Blending: Flavor with a Backstory. Thurs. 3/1 (Hyatt House, 10-11:15am $95, learn from Napa wine makers how to distinguish unique blends).
- Bowen’s Fish Camp. Thurs 3/1 (Bowens Island, 3:30-6pm $130. 10 chef stations, bevy of beverages, on the water).
- Kith + Kin. Friday 3/2 (excursion, 11-2:30 $195. 10 chef buffet tables, bevs, chefs will use generational family recipes).
- All In The Family: Alycia + Rob Mondavi, Jr. Fri 3/2 (Grand Bohemian, 2-3:15pm $150. Learn and sample wines from 4th generation wine makers).
- Pollination Proclamation Sat. 3/3 (excursion, 3-8pm $235. foraging event in the woods with veggie heavy dinner on the farm-I personally am stoked for this event and can not wait for it).
- Namaste Bubbly Sun. 3/4 (Cigar Factory, 9:30-12pm. $65. Yoga and Champagne, 10 chef tables, live DJ).
- Harlem + Hominy Sun 3/4 (Ashley Hall, 11-1pm. $135. Gospel Brunch, 20 food stations, Bloody Marys and Mimosas).
- Culinary Village FRI/SAT/SUN (Marion Square. $125 each day. 12-5pm. Lots of bites, eats, demos, entertainment).
Packing tips (to help make sure you have all the right gear)…
Through the years I’ve learned a few things and hope this list will make your packing a little bit easier! I hope you love your time here!
- The term “Charleston Casual” means A LOT of things but heres the best advice I can give you: nice jeans, or comfy casual slacks, dressy top that you’re comfortable in but that is also fun and cool. A jacket or sport coat for guys (or gals) would fit in well! Comfy shoes that you can stand in/walk in/but that look sharp! Dressy scarfs, boots, bowties…all work. This look is built of off looking nice, but you can stand all day outside and be comfortable (mostly) and you look like you’re in a magazine ad!
- Make sure you have the UBER transportation app downloaded on your phone.
- Pack an extra battery pack for your smart phone…you will most likely be taking a lot of fun food pics and selfies!
- Pack in your purse or wallet, small travel size sunscreens or bug repellent wipes (Charleston has a lot of sunshine and bugs)!
- Pack rain boots in your suitcase….YOU NEVER KNOW!
- I always carry a bottle of water, small umbrella, Tylenol and hand sanitizer in my camera bag.
- AND ALWAYS: PACK AT LEAST 1 REALLY NICE, SUPER DRESSY OUTFIT FOR GOING OUT…IT IS CHARLESTON AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHERE YOUR JOURNEY WILL LEAD YOU!
One of My favorite places to stay while visiting CHS:
Belmond at Charleston Place
205 Meeting St. Charleston, SC 29401
This hotel has many features that make it the perfect stay for a wide variety of travelers and is conveniently located in historic downtown. The hotel has over 400+ rooms, suites and club level accommodations, along with a conference center, spa with health club, infinity salt water pool with retractable roof and its own poolside patio bar. The property has 4 restaurants and bars and several on site shops (Gucci, St. John, Louis Vuitton and more). Every inch of the property is majestic, beautiful and elegant! Belmond Charleston Place is in the heart of the city and walking distance to countless art galleries, antique shops, restaurants and shops. One of my personal favorite amenities of this property is visiting the spa and its team of seasoned professionals…ask about the Intracueticals Rejuvenate Restoring Oxygen Treatment (it’s an amazing treatment)!
List of must do experiences…
- Catch a meal at Bowens Island, best Lowcountry view and great bites and sips (order the sampler platter and a bucket of steamed oysters). $16/$17 http://bowensisland.com
- Visit a plantation (either Magnolia or Middleton Place). $20+/$28+ http://middletonplace.org
- Walk Rainbow Row/White Point Gardens/Waterfront Park (Make sure to read the signs in White Point Garden. And don’t forget to take a pic of our famous Pineapple Fountain). Free
- Visit either Folly Beach or Sullivans Island and walk the beach. Free
- Grab a cocktail at The Watch Rooftop (on top of The Restoration Hotel) at sunset, BEST VIEW OF DOWNTOWN!
- Book a walking tour downtown to learn some history (Tommy Dew’s Walking Tours 843-853-8687 or Bulldog Tours) both are great!
- Great history lesson-take the ferry ride over to Fort Sumter and learn all about the beginning of The Civil War. $22 http://fortsumtertours.com
- Art lovers will appreciate the Gibbes Museum $15 http://gibbesmuseum.org
- Aqua lovers will enjoy the South Carolina Aquarium http://scaquarium.org
- For jewelry lovers and people looking for a memento or special gift to take back home, visit Croghan’s Jewel Box at 308 King St. http://croghansjewelbox.com
WE HOPE THAT YOU’LL JOIN US FOR THIS YEAR’S AMAZING #CHSWFF 2018!!!