One of my favorite weekend activities is visiting the Charleston Farmers Market at Marion’s Square on Saturday mornings from 8am-2pm April-December. I am beyond excited to be sharing my local food adventures with readers, followers and local food lovers for this month’s Lowcountry Local First: Eat Local Month Challenge. I’m highlighting several local CSA programs, farmers markets, businesses and restaurants that are showcasing and featuring neat things throughout this entire month! For more information about the market visit: http://charlestonfarmersmarket.com or to check out more about this months Eat Local Challenge visit: http://lowcountrylocalfirst.org
The Charleston Farmers Market officially opened for the season (last weekend) and it was the perfect start to what promises to be another fantastic year…people were excitingly shopping for their favorite local produce and goods, there was plenty of sunshine and nice temps and the live band in the distance kept the atmosphere uplifted and fun-filled all day! There are over 100+ local farmers, growers, food concessioners and artisans to check out. The market is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat, stock up on your weekly produce items, pick up gifts or just come to grab a cup of coffee and walk the aisles and soak up some of the amazing atmosphere known as #lowcountry #weekends!
I have been an avid supporter of the farmers market for as long as I can remember! I’ve been bringing my daughter with me since she was a newborn and she has grown up here…to her our weekly visits are just part of our normal weekly schedule. She enjoys visiting our vendor friends and filling our market basket up with fresh berries, veggies, local honey and much more (just as much as I do)!!! I want her to grow up and support her community while enjoying produce that is more nutrient rich, fresher and be socially conscious of how being local is more than a bummer sticker…its a way of life, that she learned by example. I remember she asked me one day (last summer):
Lillian Pepper: “why do we come to the farmers market each week?”
Me: “we come each week to buy stuff we like and support the farms, farmers and food producers in our community. Also I think its important to take pictures for our Instagram page of the food in the market for people who aren’t there to check out and hopefully inspire them to shop local! We have a lot of fun because of my food blog but we also have a social responsibility to help promote people are doing great things and working hard to support their families…posting pictures of their food is part of our job.”
Lillian: “Thats a really good reason. I like that. I’m glad we come here!”
Some of our favorite spots to visit include:
- Blue Pearl Farms (amazing local honey and fantastic blueberries).
- Spade & Clover (interesting and unique produce like turmeric, blue ginger and sorghum).
- Lowland Farms (some of the most beautiful and tastiest produce around CHS..and I love their eggs).
- Rio Bertolinis Pasta (this is a must hit…each week to stock up on fresh pasta, pizza dough and sauces).
- Owls Nest Farms (his organic berry selection is unrivaled)!
- Porch Rockin (awesome spreads, jams and kids lunches for the kiddos while at the FM)!
- PerlaAnne (love her printed goodies: towels, posters, cards etc.. they are amazing gifts)!
- Outta My Heuvos (get the crispy chicken biscuit with pimento cheese).
- Wich Cream (the most yummy ice cream sandwiches to ever exist, made with local ingredients).